low tide
then i feel it might be like this
an endless wet sandy beach
and the dim rattle of far off waves
the sky blocked by clouds
that sag grey in the air
and a wind that plugs the ears
and loudens the mind
i stop and you walk on
barefoot and carefree
as I look for you in the distance
i saw you as a memory i’ll have
i can see your smile from here
you said you talked to your body
coaching it to fight the cancer
you saw the sea as limitlessness
an open expanse of opportunity
this place gave you hope
and your voice a clarity
but I felt a void
the air we breathe in dreams
and I felt a stranger in it
in this space where our privacy wanders
where an elderly lady in pink
paddles to challenge her flesh and bones
where family units huddle together
in matching tshirts behind windbreaker walls
i walked alone in the space in between these private scenes
through an air of stem cells
a guest still wearing his shoes
Comments
Post a Comment